(Effective December 18, 2013)
Last Updated On: December 18, 2013
1. What information do we collect about you?
We explain below the main ways that we collect and process information about you.
Information You Provide To Us:
Your use of the Services may require registration, in which case we will ask you to provide certain personal information, including an email address, username, and password. You may also decide to provide us with some optional demographic information to enhance your profile, such as your country of residence, home address, education, interests, and communications preferences.
You may also provide personal information to us, if you choose to:
- sign up to receive our "Question of the Day" or any similar service or request to receive certain other communications from us;
- submit a help request, a customer services inquiry or other inquiry to us, or fill in any other forms for the purposes of receiving our Services;
- participate in some of the features accessible via the Services (for example, message boards, chat groups, social networking, games, surveys, polls, promotions, contests, or sweepstakes);
- contact us about employment opportunities posted to the Services; or
- otherwise use the Services in a manner that you have requested.
Depending on which of these or any other Services you use, the personal information you provide may include your name, email address, user name, home address, telephone number, information posted by you on sites accessed via the Services. Also, if you choose to login to a product or feature accessed through a Search Application via a social networking site, you are granting us permission to access and use information about you provided by the social network. For example, if you use a social network feature to login to a product accessed through a Search Application, per such social network’s policies, they may provide us access to you and your friends names, pictures, genders, user Ids, connections and any content shared using an "Everyone" or similar privacy setting. Please be aware, that by posting information to message boards, chat groups or social networking facilities available via the Services, you will be making this information available to other users of these Services to the public. You should be careful about revealing any sensitive details about yourself.
Information We Collect When You Use The Services:
When you use the Services, we automatically collect and store certain information about your computer or device and your activities, including:
(1) IP address of your computer
(2) Unique mobile device identifier
(3) Technical information about your computer or mobile device such as type of device, mobile device ID number, web browser (Internet Explorer 8, etc.), other browser information (e.g. size, connection speed and connection type), and operating system or platform (Mac, Windows XP, etc.)
(4) Your preferences and settings (time zone, language, etc.)
(5) Internet provider or mobile carrier name
(6) The URL of the last webpage you visited before visiting the Website
(7) Information about your activity on the Services (e.g., your search queries, mis-formatted DNS entries, search results selected, clicks, pages viewed, search history, comments);
(8) If you are using a mobile device, your mobile device’s geographic location (specific geographic location if you’ve enabled collection of that information, or general geographic location automatically). Please see the section "Mobile Device Location Information" below for further information.
(9) If you installed a Search Application, we may also collect information about that Search Application (e.g. the specific release date and distribution source of your Search Application, a unique Search Application ID, Search Application partner ID, the ads you click on, and information contained in error log files or cookies, aggregate query or click data and erroneous domain name system requests).
2. How do we use the information we collect?
We use the information we collect from and about you for a variety of purposes, including to:
- verify your eligibility for our Services;
- respond to your queries with the best possible answers and search results;
- understand our users (their demographics, what they do on our Services, what features they like, how they use them etc.) and improve our Services, such as by personalizing content to your interests and process and complete your transactions;
- administer our Services, diagnose technical problems and otherwise manage our business;
- distinguish your Search Application for purposes of compensating third parties who distributed the Search Application on our behalf and to analyze retention and usage per distribution partner or channel;
- send you communications that you have requested or that may be of interest to you in accordance with your preferences. Please see the section "Reviewing, changing or deleting information" for further information about how you can control these communications;
- send you questions from other users that you may be able to answer if you have registered with our Services;
- deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes or otherwise facilitate the use of our Services;
- provide you with customer support;
- enable us to show you ads that are more relevant to you; and
- perform functions as otherwise described at the time of collection.
We may also generate, use and disclose aggregated and/or anonymized information and statistics about your use of the Services to third parties for marketing, analytical and strategic purposes. However, no user of our Services will be individually identifiable from the aggregated and/or anonymized information and statistics.
3. How do we share the information we collect?
We will not share the personal information we collect about you with any third party for their own marketing purposes without your consent. We will share your information in the following ways:
- Our suppliers, subcontractors and business partners ("service providers"): We may share your data with our services providers who process your personal information to provide services to us or on our behalf. We have contracts with our service providers that prohibit them from sharing the information about you that they collect or that we provide to them with anyone else, or using it for other purposes.
- Companies within the MWS: We may share your information with our affiliates, which are entities under common ownership or control of our ultimate parent company.
- Our Search Application partners: If you have installed a Search Application, our Search Application partners may collect / receive information about you including the queries you submit via the Services, the Search Application functionality and / or website, the version of your Search Application or your browser settings, the search results and ads you click on, and the address of the web pages you previously visited.
- Fraud prevention: We may disclose the personal information we collect about our users when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
- Law enforcement purposes: If requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, we may disclose any information we have about our users. We also may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Sale or merger of our business: We may transfer your personal information to a third party if we or any of our affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of assets).
4. Cookies and Online Advertising:
There are two broad categories of cookies: (1) first party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, and (2) third party cookies, which are served by a third party on our behalf. Cookies have a lot of jobs. For example, our cookies enable us to recognize you (e.g. as a registered user) when you visit our website and to store your preferences and settings. We use third party cookies for functionality, performance / analytics, advertising and social media purposes. Cookies from advertising companies, for example, help to ensure that the advertisements you see online are more relevant to you and your interests. To understand more about cookies and pixel tags, click
How To Control Or Delete Cookies:
Most browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. Users can usually set their browsers to block all third-party cookies (which are those set by third-party companies collecting information on websites operated by other companies), block all cookies (including first-party cookies such as the ones MWS uses to collect search activity information about its users), or block specific cookies. These settings will typically be found in the "options" or "preferences" menu of your browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful, otherwise you should use the "Help" option in your browser for more details.